Friday 29 May 2020

Vorpal Sword - The World's Sharpest Blade

A few days ago, I got a two-hand sword named Vorpal Sword in Romancing SaGa 2 during my Twitch stream. My first meeting with the weapon was about 25 years ago when I was playing its original Super Famicom version. Until this day, however, I'd never wondered what the adjective "vorpal" means. So, for the first time in my SaGa history, I looked up the word in dictionaries.

Unfortunately, none of them gave me any answer. Then one of my viewers told me that the first appearance of the word is in a novel called Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll. 


He took his vorpal sword in hand,
longtime the manxsome foe he sought
So rested he by the Tum-Tum Tree
And stood awhile in thought.

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.


The viewer also said the sword appears in Dungeons and Dragons as a weapon with a chance to decapitate an enemy.

Actually, Vorpal Sword in Romancing SaGa 2 has a unique sword technique which always critically hits against humans and sometimes kill them instantly.

I guess Akitoshi Kawazu, the producer of the SaGa series, got inspiration for the weapon from D&D. It is well-known among SaGa fans that he was a big fan of American board games in his formative years.

Later, I learned that there were swords with the same name in some Final Fantasy games. I also found out that the swords are called シャープソード (Sharp Sword) in their Japanese version. What a shitty generic name!

Vopal Sword | Final Fantasy Wiki 



No comments:

Post a Comment